Friday, August 29, 2008

First Day, First Grade

Luke started first grade on Monday. It is a different feeling to have a bona fide elementary student in your house. When he was in kindergarten it didn't feel real---probably since he was only in school from 8-11 each day (what is up with 3 hours of school???).





Luke is so much like me in so many ways. He wasn't a bit nervous about school this year. His best buddy, Drew, was in his class and sat right next to him (they got separated today,but that's another blog at another time). He was confident and happy to return to school. I am so very proud of him. Luke's teacher is Ms. Hyland and this is her first year at our school. She's been teaching for 8 years and I can tell she is a dedicated and compassionate teacher. She is so cute and excited, truly excited to be a teacher. God is so good to put Luke in her care this year.






We started a tradition last year that Chris would take off work for Luke's first day so he could be there for drop-off and pick-up. We also began the tradition of having party hats and horn blowers when we pick up Luke at the end of the day as a "Happy First Day of School" celebration. He loves it. This year the theme for our little celebration was Star Wars.






Happy first week of school!



9 comments:

Amanda said...

What a GREAT first day! Man, you have some cute kiddos!

pink is the new black said...

Sooo cute! OK, I'm stealing your idea and we're going to have to "party" on the 1st day of school too! BTW...we need to set up Ms. Hyland with Seth's friend Mike...she's just TOO cute to NOT have a man and Mike is one of my favorite people! OK, its on like Donkey Kong girl.

Leesa said...

How much fun! I love that you like creating memorable moments for your kiddos, too. I was hoping you'd post about his first day.

Rebekah said...

Don't you just love the Darth Vader mask, too? Can you imagine the other children's surprise when we rolled up in our van blowing our horns and having a mask on? I couldn't wear the mask, darn huge head.

Rebekah said...

As you can see I've added a signature on my post. It's super easy to do. Just click on my name and it'll take you to a website to do it. You'll want to get the HTML code for your signature (I didn't do the custom one-it was weird looking) and then just paste it in on "edit HTML" when you type up your post.

The Robertson Family said...

Y'all are too funny...quite the party bus!! When you went to pick him up, did Chris say "Luke, I am your father" in a real deep breathy voice?

and I think I have a girl-crush on Ms. Hyland. She is super cute.

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

There's nothing wrong with a large head, Bek. Nothing wrong at all....

Rebekah said...

Totally girl-crush on Miss Hyland. Sooo pretty. Doesn't she look like a Miss Texas contestant??

Thank you for the encouragement about big heads, Kim. I need that. Chris makes fun of me and says I can't wear ballcaps because it looks like my head is trying to push the hat off.

Jennifer said...

For what it's worth, before I knew you well, I NEVER thought, "Bek?? She's the one with the big head, right?" Tell Chris he is just plain wrong!